My best friend, Denise, and I have been on a mission to come up with an affordable and all-natural bug spray that works:
- during all of our outdoor activities (e.g., hiking, boating, horse riding, barn cleaning, and camping).
- against all of the major pests in our area (e.g., mosquitos, gnats, ticks, horse flies, fleas).
- on both us, our kids, and our dogs.
It took us almost a full season, and at least three tweaks, but we now have a finished product that we have tested and are very happy with.
NOTE: This is NOT safe for cats. To make for your feline friend, omit the Peppermint and check with your veterinarian.
To make this bug spray, gather an 8 ounce glass spray bottle, and add the following essential oils:
- 35 drops of a Repellent Blend
- 35 drops of Peppermint
- 35 drops of Lemongrass
- 15 drops of Cedarwood
- 15 drops of Lavender
Fill the spray bottle with distilled water (will not spread after spraying quite as well on skin) OR fractionated coconut oil (will be a bit more oily on dog fur and hair), screw on the spray top, and shake to mix.
- For humans: spray onto ankles, wrists, back of neck, and hair every 4-6 hours or as needed.
- For dogs: spray your dog’s chest, back of neck, back of ears, stomach, and tail every morning and afternoon before letting your fur baby outside. If your dog is skittish or doesn’t like being sprayed, then spray your hands first and then rub into those same areas. Be sure to keep your hands away from his/her nose since the sense of smell is so much more refined than ours and the scents can be overpowering for dogs. I actually stand behind my one dog and put my arms under her front legs and rub onto her chest so she doesn’t try to sniff my hands…otherwise she goes into a sneezing fit lol. It won’t hurt your dog if this happens, but you want him/her to like the spray, so still good to steer clear!
If you try this, let me know what you think! I no longer use any chemical-based flea, tick, or bug spray on my family…and yet we experience less issues than before. I hope you have the same experience!